Monday, May 21, 2012

Saturday Morning Redux, Part 1: Fangface

Inspired by Paigey's recent roller-derby X-Men, and Gris Grimly's "grimlified" cartoons, I've decided to try my hand at re-designing the old Saturday morning cartoon characters that I grew up with and loved as a kid. First up is Fangface. I've always had a thing for monsters, especially werewolves. (Still do!) A Saturday morning cartoon starring a goofy-looking kid (I could relate) who turns into a werewolf that fights monsters and solves mysteries, that was pretty much as good as it gets for 10-year-old me.

I even had this board game (check out that car!):

So Fangface seems like the best place to start. I just streamlined him a bit and put a little bit of my personal style into him. I gave him 2 little bottom fangs, like any respectable werewolf should have, and really pushed his mouth and made it this big silly slobbery thing. And I got rid of those Groucho Marx Eyebrows, but still tried to keep him ferocious-yet-silly. Overall, I'm really happy with him and can't wait to do the next one (I'm totally open to suggestions, by the way!). Hope you guys like it!

Here's my blueline sketch:

And here's the big furry guy in color:



1 comment:

  1. Love it! I used to watch this cartoon all the time and thought Fangs was the greatest :)

    This is a fun take on the character.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete